Christmas 2009

Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Yesterday was Math and Science Fun Day for DanMan's elementary school. A good friend of mine is the focus coordinator there so I have been volunteering in recent years. Yesterday, for the first time, I had DanMan in one of my groups and my friend took our picture. It is not a flattering photo of either of us but still I treasure it! Fun Day is a wonderful learning experience for every child at Yocum Elementary. I did my experiment with 1/4 of the 600+ children enrolled there so it was a L-O-N-G day! I had such a good time though. DanMan (and all the other kids) first tried to blow out a candle with a funnel by blowing through the small end. Then we turned the funnel around and blew through the large end. If the child managed to "aim at the flame" (my mantra for the day), blowing through the large end was obviously the most effective! This is DanMan's last year at Yocum but I imagine I will continue to participate in this activity. I feel kind of guilty because I retired from Hugh Goodwin Elementary and still think of it as MY school. HG does some wonderful learning activities too and I volunteer there as well. El Dorado has gone to a focus concept and DanMan and his parents decided that he would fit best at the Math and Science School. Maddy begins elementary school next year and she has chosen MY school - the Academy of the Arts!

No comments: