Christmas 2009

Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami watch in Hawaii

I have talked to my dad and gotten e:mails from both of my sisters so I know my family in Hawaii is safe. I almost hate to turn on the news tonight. So many tragedies - in so many locations!


I have called my brother-in-law to check on his granddaughter and her husband, who are stationed in Okinawa. He knew no details but had been told they were safe.


I am sad to report that La Mariana Sailing Club, a restaurant that I posted two pictures of during my Hawaii travelogue entries, was destroyed by the tsunami today. I am not at all suggesting that the loss of a business compares to the loss of life we will be hearing and reading about but it does merit mention since I had just told you all about the place.

3/17/11 Just saw a news clip, forwarded by my sister, Jane, reporting that the restaurant at La Mariana Sailing Club was NOT damaged - just the marina itself! The video showed an interview with a tearful employee guiding the TV camera through the restaurant. I learned some interesting things about "artifacts" I had seen but not fully appreciated. Thank you, Jane, for sharing this good news!

No comments: