Christmas 2009

Monday, March 7, 2011

Visit to Hawaii, Volume 9

Wednesday, February 15, was a very busy day - and it was planned to be that way. New carpeting was scheduled to be installed in the hallway of the 19th floor and tenants either had to be away from their apartment from 9 until 5 or be prepared to stay inside all day.

After getting so excited as we whale watched from the lanai on Sunday, we decided to take a whale watching excursion on the Star of Honolulu Wednesday morning. BIG mistake for me! I got sooooo seasick! Tom had a great time - but I know it would have been even more fun for him if he had not had to worry about his green wife! Daddy was with us too, and I think he had an OK time, but it was kind of old hat for him and it was pretty rough. Keeping your footing was more of a challenge than he had bargained for! Naturally, I did not think to hand my camera over to Tom so we don't have any pictures of the whales, who cooperated beautifully, even if the ocean they live in did not!

After we were back on dry land, we drove to Hawaii Kai to meet Jane for lunch. Usually Friday is the day for Dad and Jane's lunch date but, since Tom, Jane, and I were all scheduled to fly out on Thursday, we grabbed the lunch excuse for a little more time together. (Because of the situation in Oregon, Jane did not get to make her trip.) Jane brought us beautiful leis and, of course, the sisters cried.

That afternoon we went to the Bishop Museum. It is a fascinating place but I was distracted and didn't get as much from it as usual. For one thing, I was texting back and forth with the cuties in Oregon as I attempted to offer comfort and they responded with touching gratefulness. Another problem was that I had burned my arm pretty impressively on Tuesday evening and I kept making it bleed by banging it on arm rests and other obstructions!

On Wednesday night, Barbara came over to say "good bye" for this trip. She is not nearly as emotional as Jane and I are but it was still a tough parting.

No comments: