Christmas 2009

Monday, March 7, 2011

Visit to Hawaii, Volume 7 (Always wear a Wildcat shirt when you are out of town!)

On Monday, Daddy and Tommy decided to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is a fascinating place but I have been several times and didn't feel that I would get nearly $100 worth of enjoyment (or learning) from it. I stayed at the apartment and played with my iPad, knit a little, wrote postcards, read, and enjoyed the view. When Barbara came home from work, we went in search of a business that would prepare a framed print, that Barb was going to re-loan to Jed and Kim, for transport to Oregon with Jane when she flew to the mainland on Thursday. We pretty much struck out. One young man suggested Barbara buy the supplies to pack it herself at PWS (Pack, Wrap, and Ship). Turns out there is one of those at the Sears in Ala Moana, right across the street from the apartments. I took my iPad because I wanted to download something from iTunes that needed a wi-fi network to be successful. We decided to meet at the Apple Store and separated. My download took no time but, when I tried to call Barb to rearrange our reunion, her phone was not on. (It seems as if Tommy is more like my youngest sister than I am. She does not turn on her phone unless she needs to call someone!!! Mine is on and within reach except when I am asleep!) Turned out to be a good thing that we did not connect 'cause we might have taken a different route home.

I was wearing a Wildcat state champs shirt tht evening, as I did for most of my trip; I have three from 2010 and two from 2009! We were walking along chatting when I heard a, not very loud, voice say, "Wildcats?" Another said, "El Dorado?' - and pronounced it correctly!!!! I turned to see two men, strangers, on a bench. I asked, "Where are you from?" They answered, "El Dorado." Still amazed, my brilliant reply was, "Arkansas?" Turned out both men were clients of Goodwin Animal Hospital and knew Tom well! One of the guys works for Murphy and his wife has a popular burger joint, Lipseys; the other man had been married to Tom's accountant. I still have not recovered from the "small worldness" of this encounter!

No comments: